Good News! We’re expecting- must've shared these words with your near and dear ones as soon as you witnessed that a tiny member will soon join you. And, actually, you both expect a child together, however, mothers experience a major biological change. But, dads are also no less, and therefore, males also witness the pregnancy symptoms.
Can Men Really Have Pregnancy Symptoms?-
Being pregnant doesn’t only mean the female carrying a baby. Rather, males also experience a couple of symptoms and that’s absolutely uncommon for people to know. And that’s surprising or might be even shocking to know this. As we usually are familiar with the peculiarities of a regular female pregnancy. Surely, females execute & physically experience every stage of pregnancy and post-pregnancy. Despite, the biological divisions of roles- fathers too experience pregnancy symptoms to some extent.
Why Some Men Experience Pregnancy Symptoms Such As Anxiety When Their Wives Are Pregnant?-
Couvade Syndrome is an unknown terminology for most people in India, especially the expecting ones. It is a whole medical mystery that still needs to be uncovered. However, this concept is beyond what society thinks about it despite its actual meaning of transformation of fatherhood. However, the following reasons are perhaps the builders of this syndrome-
- Somatic Symptoms: Basically, these are the symptoms that lead to anxiety or distress. Certainly, are birthed from the mental pressure that fathers encounter as soon as they witness they will be a dad soon. For instance, the force of changing role from a husband to father, holding the responsibility of a child, and whatnot.
- The Attachment: Males who are deeply involved in their partner’s pregnancy cycles have an undefined connection with the child in the fetus. Indeed, this at times creates a sense of empathy toward their wives. Therefore, developing a feeling of attachment to both the mom and the unborn child.
- Hormonal Changes: Studies support that males too experience hormonal changes when their wives are expecting. Thus, there are possible chances for a decrease in testosterone and an intensified number of estradiol.
- Psychological Reasons: These may be similar to that somatic symptoms where fathers experience undefined feelings of anxiety, stress, guilt, and more.
Is it Common for Fathers to Experience Couvade Syndrome? Is Couvade Syndrome, Severe?-
Certainly, almost every male or expecting father experiences this and it is absolutely harmless. But, for fathers, it is always suggested for them to be positive and manifest that they will suit best in the role of a dad. In addition, they should practice the modes of being a wonderful father, such as reading about their parenting duties, roles in the postpartum phase, and more.
TIP- Fathers-to-be should also practice workouts or perform Yoga for mental stability that indeed works best for their body.
Symptoms that Fathers-to-Be Experience During The Pregnancy of their Wives-
Psychological Indications of Men Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms (though they aren't actually pregnant)-
- Constantly working
- Anxiety and stress
- Fluctuations in sleep patterns
Physical Indications of Men Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms (though they aren't actually pregnant)-
- Constipation, abdominal pain, diarrhea
- Nausea & Heartburn
- Appetite fluctuations
- Skin issues
- Body ache
- Weight gain or loss
- Weakness or lethargy
To The Bottom Line-
While it’s a universal truth that females biologically bear a child, however, males can also experience the symptoms. Thus, to deal with it effectively practicing yoga, talking to their loved ones, sharing quality time, and preparing themselves mentally are ways to sort things out. Dads-to-be you are just doing it so right and there ain't anybody to question how hard you trying to be the best. You are the powerhouse of doing and holding things the right way and being that way!